Sunday, November 2, 2014

Post # 5 R.F. O'Sullivan & Son, Somerville, MA

R.F. O’Sullivan & Son
282 Beacon Street
Somerville, MA 02431
www.rf-osullivan.com

When I evaluate a burger, subconscious factors no doubt influence my evaluation. For example, if I drive off to yet another burger joint and my wife yells from the porch, “I thought you were raking leaves today!” my burger will likely taste less delicious than if she’d said, “Have a great adventure, Burgerman!”

Keeping this in mind, I try not to be overly critical in this blog. Burger greatness is a personal assessment. Yet, when a certain restaurant is continually praised by critics, the general public usually falls in line. Which brings us to R. F. O’Sullivan & Son, one of the most press-covered and praised burger joints in the Boston area. So much attention has gone O’Sullivan’s way, people show up these days just to see what all the talking is about. What’s curious about O’Sullivan's is, while there are many backers, there are also detractors, and everybody with an opinion is convinced his is the right one. Including moi.

The stately exterior of R.F. O'Sullivan & Son
On the Sunday Scott and I tried O’Sullivan's, the restaurant had been featured on The Phantom Gourmet that very morning. By the time we arrived, throngs of salivating carnivores were charging the entrance like lemmings toward a cliff. Pulling to the curb, we saw Richard Sullivan, the owner, out front on the sidewalk, smiling. And why wouldn’t he be? Free advertising had once again blessed his little establishment, and the faithful were flocking as if to Mecca.

Before heading inside, I asked Richard about his well known refusal to squash his burgers with a spatula during cooking. He replied, in effect, that squashing is akin to blasphemy. As if to dare people to question this belief, he also defiantly forms his patties the size and shape of softballs.

O'Sullivan's Cheddar and Onion Sauce Burger
I understand the reason for not squashing a burger during cooking. The more you squash, the more juice escapes. But wouldn't it be wise to start with a shape that’s conducive to eating? No doubt O’Sullivan’s burgers are big and juicy. A half pound of beef is used per burger, making it seem like a great value; but bigger isn’t always better, juicy isn’t always delicious, and value rarely equals excellence. For having so much juice, O’Sullivan’s burgers are surprisingly light on flavor. And because the patty is roundish, the burger is impossible to keep together, let alone eat. It’s just a big hunk of meat with condiments sliding from under the top bun while non-seasoned juices drench the bottom bun until it's a soggy mess. Which is exactly what happened to my Cheddar and Onion Sauce Burger. Halfway through, I gave up and ate the remaining shrapnel with a fork.

Plus, the restaurant smelled of fish when we entered.

Okay, I’m being overly critical, but hearing continual praise compels me to speak up. The emperor is wearing no clothes, people!

After finishing our burgers, Scott and I struck up a conversation with the couple sitting next to us. They’d seen The Phantom Gourmet segment earlier that morning and immediately drove up from Westport, MA to be a part of the scene. Sure enough, they had only accolades for the burgers they’d eaten. But wouldn’t they have felt foolish driving all that way for subpar burgers? Could it be that subconscious factors influenced their evaluation?  

As for me, I almost wished I'd stayed home and raked the leaves.

Score: 6.5 out of 10 napkins

No comments:

Post a Comment